Sunday, April 16, 2006

There Should Be A Special Place In Hell For People Like This

9:00 AM this morning it was raining like mad in San Francisco. I was leaning out my apartment window having a cigarette when I noticed a strange sight. It was a man on a horse, carrying some sort of large homemade flag and leading a heavily laden burro. Even for San Francisco this was a bit of an oddity in a city that prides itself on the odd being commonplace.

It was with disbelief that I watched this small procession leave the city streets and take the freeway on ramp. The rider brought the animals up to the top of the ramp and then proceeded to cross three lanes of traffic where he took up his ride in the fast lane.

Apparently oblivious to the fact that cars were approaching at 70 mph the fellow set off in the direction of the Bay Bridge.

I quickly grabbed my cell phone and called the Highway Patrol. I've got nothing against demonstrators, but I do have a whole bunch of problems with people who put animals and children into harms way.

As far as I am concerned there should be a special spot in hell reserved to idots such as this guy, and for those parents who I see far too often jaywalking against the traffic lights with their children. Folks, if you are an adult and want to do something really stupid that puts your life in danger, that is one thing. To involve animals or children in your hare brained schemes is quite anothor. Stop it. Now.

Things worked out well, as you can see from the CHP log which I've copied below, the rider was taken into custody and the horse and burro were given over to Animal Control.

Incident: 0605 Type: Pedestrian on the Roadway Location: SB S VAN NESS AV ONR TO SB US101 Zoom Map: 667 1J info as of: 4/16/2006 10:19:56 AM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
10:16AM AC BROUGHT HORSE AND BURRO BACK TO CONTAINMENT
9:37AM 1 SUSP IN CUST - THE PTY RIDING THE HORSE
9:25AM SF PD 1097
9:24AM TAKING 7TH OFR NOW
9:23AM PER PSBY , EB 80 JWO 4TH HEADING TOWARDS BRG IN THE #1 LN
9:16AM 1039 BRG
9:16AM ALSO GIVEN AS MISSION ONR TO SB 101
9:14AM DONKEY IS BEHIND THE HORSE
9:12AM MAN RIDING HORSE #1 LN

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw him too! We were driving and slowed down when seeing a bunch of traffic. Then we came up behind him and passed him on the right. I looked at him while I was driving past, and he was riding in the pouring rain with a huge grin on his face. Disturbing! We called the cops but they had already been informed. Thanks for this post! Now we know we were not imagining the whole situation. How bizarre.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Paul from SF said...

Did you happen to see what the flag he was carrying said? I couldn't see it that well from my window.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also called the CHP--I could hardly believe my eyes! I felt so bad for the animals being on asphalt in the pouring rain as cars were whizzing by.

Does anyone know the details of this story?

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home